One of the things we encourage here at Northwest Family Dental is healthy oral habits, and the first step to a healthier set of teeth and gums is to stop bad habits that unknowingly cause harm. Below are the most common worst dental habits that need to stop right away.
- Teeth Grinding –Also known as bruxism, grinding your teeth can be caused by stress and bad sleeping habits. If this habit persists, your enamel will eventually wear out and result to cracked, chipped, decaying, or damaged teeth.
- Using Your Teeth as an Opener – It can look cool to open a bottle with your teeth or pretty convenient to tear out a plastic packaging, but your oral health will be compromised. Using your teeth as tools instead of scissors or opener can result to getting them chipped or cracked or injure your gums.
- Chewing Ice –Frozen ice cubes may be sugar free, but they are still hard and very cold. Chewing on frozen cubes can crack your teeth and trigger teeth sensitivity.
- Regularly Drinking Soda, Sports Drink, and Coffee –Soda contains high levels of sugar, as well as other tooth damaging chemicals like phosphoric and citric acids. Regularly drinking all types of sodas and coffee, as well as sports drinks, can quickly damage your tooth enamel and cause cavities. Caffeine can also quickly stain your teeth and trigger sensitivity.
- Smoking –Any tobacco products can cause teeth stain, bad breath and gum disease ranging from mild to severe. Smoking is highly destructive to your mouth because it can also result to oral cancer.
- Brushing Too Hard –Brushing your teeth aggressively with tougher bristles can quickly irritate your gums and erode tooth enamel. A good habit to keep in mind is brushing twice a day, in a gentler, circular motion, and using a brush with soft bristles.
- Nail Biting –Nail biting not only causes chipped or cracked tooth, it also increases the risk of having foreign bacteria enter your mouth. The germs and particles under your nails can cause an infection or sickness.
- Thumb Sucking –This habit should be highly discouraged among children because it can greatly hinder the regular growth of adult teeth. New teeth can become crooked or deformed, depending on how much children suck their thumb.
Please visit our blog for more information on oral health. If you have a dental concern that needs to be addressed quickly or if you are looking for professional teeth cleaning here in the Lake Worth Texas area, call us now and schedule an appointment here at Northwest Family Dental.