Having healthy teeth doesn’t stop in regularly brushing and flossing. It also involves getting regular dental check-ups with your family dentist as well as keeping a healthy diet. Here are some of the best food you can feast on to build up your teeth’s strength and resistance to decay.
- Cheese – Cheese is not only delicious, it also lowers the risk of tooth decay! It contains nutrients that help strengthen your enamel such as calcium and protein. Munching on tougher or chewier cheese also increases the production of saliva.
- Milk & Yogurt – Both are rich in calcium and protein as well. Milk lowers the level of acidity in your mouth and can neutralize the sugar from desserts you just consumed. Yogurt, on the other hand, is rich in probiotics which aid in removing bad bacteria from your gums.
- Tea – Black and green tea contain polyphenols, which slow the growth of bacteria in your mouth to prevent tooth decay, bad breath and gum disease.
- Leafy Greens – Vitamin B, folic acid, calcium are among the types of teeth-friendly nutrients and minerals you can get from your daily dose of vegetables. Celery is one of the healthiest vegetables for oral health because it also contains Vitamin A and C, which will greatly boost your gum’s health.
- Fish – Fatty fish, particularly wild salmon, is rich in Omega-3 and Vitamin D, which are great for calcium absorption and strengthening your teeth.
- Garlic and Ginger – Garlic has strong antimicrobial properties which can greatly remove or lower the spreading of bacteria in your mouth, while ginger inhibits bacterial growth as well and freshens your breath.
- Chocolate – Dark chocolate, particularly those with at least 70% of cacao, helps in protecting your teeth from decay. It is important to note, however, that very sweet chocolate or those with other components are likely harmful for your teeth with their high level of sugar.
Please visit our blog for more information and tips on oral health. If you have an dental concern or you need professional teeth cleaning, call us now and schedule an appointment at our Lake Worth location for Northwest Family Dental.